OUR COVID-19 RESPONSE
Just like you, the GAIA team has been carefully monitoring the impact of COVID-19 worldwide. In challenging times like these, we’re reminded that our top priority is the health and well-being of our guests, staff and communities.
We are pleased to share with you the various steps we are taking to ensure that GAIA Riverlodge remains a safe environment for all of our stakeholders. We are proud to adhere to the Belize Tourism Board’s (BTB) Gold Standards as a Certified Gold Property, providing you with the distinctly intimate and restful experience that GAIA has to offer.
Please see below the answers to any of the questions you may have surrounding our Coronavirus protocols. Do not hesitate to contact our reservations team should you have any additional questions.
– Daniel Lighter, Owner & Director
What is the BTB’s Gold Standard Certification?
The Gold Standard Certification is a 9-point Program developed by the Government of Belize and the Belize Tourism Board. The Gold Standard Certification seeks to enhance health and safety standards for cleaning practices, employee and guest interactions, work place policies, and standard operating procedures. The goal is to instill confidence in employees and travellers of the cleanliness and safety of Belize’s hotels and restaurants while ensuring minimal impact on the guest experience.
Gold Standard Nine Points Protocols:
- A Gold Standard Program Manager has been appointed.
- Temperature Monitoring and Reporting System has been implemented.
- Physical Distancing Protocols have been implemented for employees and visitors.
- Enhanced Cleaning and Sanitization Procedures have been implemented.
- An Official Response Plan has been designed for quick action in the case of a positive Covid 19 case onsite.
- A Clear and Consistent Communication Plan has been developed to ensure clear and consistent messaging to guests, employees and the general public.
- Sanitizer Stations have been installed throughout property.
- Technology has been deployed to reduce physical contact while on property.
- Extensive Training has been conducted to ensure staff is prepared to implement and manage new protocols.
What should I expect when I visit?
The experience may look a little different in this new normal, but we hope it will feel the same; ultimately, it is still our people caring for you and delivering the same attention to detail and personalized service that you are used to at GAIA Riverlodge. We want to reassure you that we’ve put measures in place to keep you and our team safe so that you can confidently enjoy your stay with us. We firmly believe this needs to be a joint effort, so we ask you to please play your part in keeping everyone safe. In return we will be doing the same for you.
Our team, suppliers and partners
We will be making sure that all of our teams, suppliers and partners are fully aware of our commitments and have asked them to comply with our procedures and requests to ensure the safety of our staff and guests.
- Every team member will be trained in new health and hygiene-related procedures and their responsibility to guests and fellow members of staff.
- We’re communicating with key suppliers and partners, to ensure that their policies and systems relating to health and hygiene meet our high standards.
Keeping you informed
We’ll be honest, transparent, and up front with you – updating and sharing information with you as soon as possible.
- As we hear the latest Government directives, we’ll update all our pre-arrival email communications to provide additional information relating to health and hygiene.
- All guests will be emailed in advance of their reservation to confirm the details of their stay and to clarify the procedures that we’ve put in place at that hotel ahead of their arrival.
As a hotel and restaurant, we already operate with strict cleaning and health and safety measures, but we will now be taking extra steps to ensure that all public areas, rooms and the spa are thoroughly sanitized, clean and compliant.
- All team members will be trained in these new standards and timings of cleaning.
- We will be providing hand sanitizer for staff and guests at every possible opportunity.
We prefer the term physical distancing, so that it doesn’t feel like you can’t enjoy interacting with the team. We’ll always adapt our service style to adhere to Government guidelines, and have adjusted table layouts in our restaurants, chair layouts in our bars and lounger layouts on the pier, beach and pool to allow for the required distancing policy. GAIA Riverlodge is private by nature, with plenty of space throughout the property and across communal spaces including by the waterfalls, gardens and lodge, so we are not enforcing hard and fast rules. We ask guests to please use common sense and be responsible for your own physical distancing during your stay when moving around the hotel for the wellbeing of both you, other guests and the team. We have asked the team to do the same for you.
The GAIA team will be wearing face coverings at all times when on site at the hotel. Guests are required to wear a mask when walking around the hotel, except if they are seated waiting for or consuming food and drinks, relaxing in the garden or by the waterfalls, or in their own bedrooms.
Check-In and Check-Out
We’ve adapted the Arrival, Check-In and Check-Out process to support physical distancing and to ensure the safety of all guests and team members. Guests will be contacted with details of exact procedures in advance of their stay.
Restaurant and activities
In a Restaurant it is virtually impossible to remove every risk. Therefore, our policy is to mitigate the risk through best practice and risk assessment. We’ll take all necessary measures to deliver minimum contact, ensure hygiene standards and physical distancing.
- We’ll ask our guests to pre-book their Breakfast time on arrival.
- Lunch and Dinner reservations for hotel guests will be staggered to support physical distancing.
- Our food, cocktail and wine menus will be available on the website and accessible via QR code.
- Tables will be positioned the required distance apart in all our restaurants, in line with the latest government guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at restaurant entrances and exits
Tours and activities
GAIA’s in-house tours will operate at reduced capacity to accommodate physical distancing. Private tours will also be available at special rates to ensure all of our guests have access to our amazing experiences within their level of comfort. External tours will be provided exclusively by tour operators who have received certification from the BTB.
The Spa facilities will be open, and as with the rest of the hotel we will be operating stringent hygiene measures.
- All appointments must be pre-booked in advance and we will not be accepting walk-ins.
- Our therapists have received additional training on health and safety protocols and will be provided with additional safety equipment to wear during all appointments.
- We ask that all guests please shower before arriving for their treatment, and wear a mask and use hand sanitizer before entering the treatment room. We will be taking temperature checks of guests and therapists before every treatment.